Community Life and Outreach Coordinator
The Community Life and Outreach Coordinator is a person of committed faith, with a passion to further the mission of Emanuel Lutheran to be In the City for Good through community outreach and intergenerational programming. This position is responsible for the creation, development, and implementation of programming, with a focus on social ministry, community action, communication and volunteer engagement. In addition, one quarter of this position is also intended to be a shared youth and young adult ministry with other area churches, providing opportunities for youth and young adult ministries through both outreach and social gatherings. The position will begin at 32 hours per week and expand to 40 hours per week as other congregations become engaged with this shared ministry.
- Collaborate with church staff and committees to provide leadership on the design, staffing, and implementation of programs, ministries, classes, and events with a focus on community engagement and social outreach.
- Help develop partnerships that serve the under-represented groups in our church and reach beyond the walls of Emanuel, recognizing our desire to be engaged in coalition building partnerships that provide opportunities for ELC members to be engaged and to utilize our space to fulfil our mission. This includes, but is not limited to, work with the Christian Activities Council, Hands on Hartford, and Billings Forge.
- Provide primary oversight of youth and young adult programs of the church, in coordination with key volunteers.
- Work with area congregations–both Lutheran and other mainstream denominations–to help create a Hartford Area Wide Youth Network, with twice a month gatherings for 6-8 grades and 9-12 grades, one social and one outreach focused.
- Work with area congregations to develop a Hartford Wide Young Adult Network to gather for discussion and service
- In coordination with the Emanuel Office Administrator, provide both internal and external communications that expand our social media footprint and help create a broader awareness of the ministry opportunities available at Emanuel Lutheran.
- Assess the needs of ministries and programs to ensure that appropriate resources are available and utilized, including the recruitment and training of volunteers.
- Attend appropriate staff, committee, and council meetings to stay in touch with the needs of the parish and community.
- Provide reports of activities to the Pastor on a monthly basis.
- Perform other various duties as assigned and/or as required.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Christian values consistent with the Lutheran faith as expressed by the ELCA (need not be Lutheran)
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years of experience teaching, training, and motivating in a corporate, non-profit and/or ministry setting.
- Sense of humor
- Flexibility, open mindedness, and a willingness to fail occasionally
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere both independently and creatively
- Proven organizational, leadership, communication, diplomatic, and people skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of technology and social media.
- Shared commitment and support of the mission and ministry vision at Emanuel Lutheran
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Market competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and retirement.
- Reasonable reimbursement for pursuit of ELCA certifications is negotiable.
Interested individuals may apply by sending a cover letter and resume to EmanuelHartford1@gmail.com.
Emanuel Lutheran Church is an at-will employer.